Monday, January 18, 2010

Practise! Practise!

When I was about 12 years old, I took organ lessons. It wasn't something I was proud of. My mother made me do it!

I hated the organ. I hated the lessons. I hated practising. And, I hated the recitals most of all because it was there that my lack of practising became clearly evident. Especially when, in a group song (played with other kids), my foot (on the pedals) was not moving in unison with theirs. Only the really short kids who could not reach the pedals were allowed to avoid playing them. I, however, was not one of those blessed few.

It's been decades since I've even thought of the organ or those awful lessons. I should probably send a card of apology to my teacher, b/c I certainly was her bane of frustration.

I must admit that, now, years later, I am VERY glad for those lessons. (My mom is going to flip when she reads this!) :) The reasons are obvious. In those lessons, I learned the various aspects of music: timing, notes, chords, an "ear" for music, and so much more.

Today, I had another lesson on the guitar with Matt, who is simply amazing! I love the song I'm learning:Opportunity, by Pete Murray. Admittedly, I'm a complete novice, but I know more than I thought I did about playing a musical instrument! I recall the 4-count, chords, my ear hears notes (especially the ones that are wrong) and I have a great deal of hope that I can actually learn to play this song! It's amazing! I can't believe it! I am so excited!!!!!!


It is so much easier to learn, having someone to teach me the basics of the song, along with the opportunity to see how it is played.

Hhhhmmm....it does make me think about how often I choose to "do it myself", on my own, without help in the rest of my life. I wonder how much easier life would be if I asked for help. You know, I cannot even remember how exactly it worked out that I was able to receive a couple guitar lessons, but do know that having someone to learn from is making this process so much more fun, so much easier and so much less complicated! I bet life would be a lot more fun, easier and a whole lot less complicated, too, if I asked for help a little more.

Wow! Today, I grew a little!

I am inspired!

Mom, I am serious about being thankful for those terrible organ lessons. You did say that I'd be thankful one day. Well, "one day" is today. Thank you. love you, Crystal

1 comment:

ashleyp said...

If that's the same organ I am thinking of, then I think a few of us grew a little in the music department on that large instrument, albeit, as you said, with some reluctance. :) I acutally think that Grandma even stepped in to take charge of my practicing on it when mom was busy. Years later, I too, am grateful for those wretched hours of practice. Thanks mom and grams!! (and the organ too!!!)
The growth continues!!