Sunday, January 10, 2010

Listen to your body.

Yesterday, I listened to my body.

I took the day off - intentionally. I listened to my body and took the day off from writing this blog. Working. Everything. I have not done that in a long time! It sure felt good! I needed it. My body needed it.

It was Saturday. I had the day off after working long hours last week. I slept in until 8 (That's sleeping in for me.) and then took coffee's to the staff at the hostel. I puttered around the house, did some of those important things on my list, went to see my sister and then saw Mel for dinner. We hung out for the evening and she did this "somatic therapy" session on me. I couldn't even begin to describe it accurately. But, basically it's about listening to your body and being aware of what it is feeling. The body can hold on to stress, tension, etc. and lock it in the tissues. So, the somatic session taps into that and help reduce or eliminate the tension/stress.

It was an amazing, rejuvenating experience.

Mom, you rarely take time for you. Well, not until the past few years, anyway. I remember growing up and you were always working. You were always doing something "in service" to someone else. All day. Every day. This is your gift and I am so grateful to you for all that you have done in your life for all of us. But I remember when we were young, when you looked so tired, overwhelmed and you just kept on "keeping on". I suppose you had do. there were no other options at the time. However, I'm so glad that you're taking time off now to just sit, to just be, and to just enjoy life.

That's what I did lastnight. Just enjoy life. Intentionally. It felt wonderful! Mel and I grabbed our guitars and she introduced me to a new song called, Opportunity, by Pete Murray.

This is going to be my first song to learn to play! Yay! I am so excited!
I cannot begin to express how much writing this blog has made me more "intentional" in my life. I started it on December 18th, the eve of my birthday. I've written a post every day since that day. That in itself is a commitment towards being more intentional. But there's more, because I think every day, "what am I going to focus on today, tomorrow, this week, this month and all year". I committed to writing this blog for one year as a gift for my mom...and I have to think about her wisdom and experience it in order to have something to write about. It's been amazing b/c I actually have to incorporate "intentional living" into my life. It has been a true gift to think about the bigger picture - what "big" things do I want to focus on and incorporate in small ways, on a daily basis. I gotta admit, this takes a lot of time, effort and thought (way more than I imagined). It's certainly turned into a much bigger project, on a personal level, than I ever imagined...

I don't think I was a total "dud" before, however, this experience has been a defining moment in my life. I have now spent 23 days living, breathing and being more intentional. I'm a little amazed at the subtle, and not so subtle, changes that I'm experiencing. I don't seem to procrastinate much anymore. I seem to be making us of small moments to get to some of the items on my "list" of goals for this year (from day 3) like eating very well and not eating any chocolate or treats, de-cluttering every drawer, cupboard and closet or spending more quality time with friends/family. I'm happier. I find myself thinking about and doing what would bring me joy - like playing the guitar or using my creativity.

As I write this, I am celebrating inside, grateful for this opportunity to honour you, Mom, and grateful for how the act of living out your wisdom has shaped me, even just in a few weeks.

Love you Mom, Crystal


Lyrics for Opportunity by Pete Murray:
And so it goes another lonely day
Your savin time but your miles away
Your fly was drownin in some bitter tea
For seeing lost opportunity

Find your mirror go and look inside
And see the talent you always hide
Don't go kidd yourself well not today
Satisfaction's not to far away

Hold on now your exits here
It's waiting just for you
Don't pause too long
It's fading now
It's ending all too soon you'll see

Soon you'll see

Your coffee's warm but your milk is sour
Life is short but your here to flower
Dream yourself along another day
Never miss opportunity

Don't be scared of what you cannot see
Your only fear is possibility
Never wonder what the hell went wrong
Your second chance may never come along

Hold on now your exits here
It's waiting just for you
Don't pause too long
It's fading now
It's ending all too soon you'll see

Soon you'll see

Hold on now your exits here
It's waiting just for you
Don't pause too long
It's fading now
It's ending all too soon you'll see

No comments: