Friday, January 8, 2010

Joy!

I don't remember my mom using the word "joy" very often, but she sure knows how to live it these days.
My mom is 74 this month. She has spent the past 5 years living in a state of complete and utter joy, since she and Don got married! (How cool is that....married at 70!)

A few years ago, I called home, crying the blues about not having met the person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. Her response was, "Well, be patient. It can happen when you're 70!". I cannot remember my response, but I'm certain that her comment was not received as well as it was intended.

The past 6 months or so, though, I have found myself happy for no reason, more joyful than ever and strangely, I've been finding myself so much more at peace and accepting of who I am, and maybe also of who/what I'm not.

I called my mom on the way to work this morning as I drove the 1 hour trip to the next city. We had a great conversation about what she and Don are up to, what my siblings are doing, my visit there at the end of the month (when I'm going to show her this blog) and about the freezing cold temperatures in SK right now. We didn't really talk about anything specific. It was just a happy, bright conversation. I feel so grateful that I have her to call. Speaking with her brings me great joy!

Mom is so filled with joy the past several years! It's incredible. I ask her what she's doing. She can be cleaning cupboards, going through recipes, baking, cooking, doing God knows what...and she's happy. She's joyful. She's totally filled with joy on a daily basis. She has a 10 kids that love her, grand-kids that call her up to "chat with Gramsy", so many friends, and of course, Don, who adores her. She has her faith, her volunteering, her health, security and much to hope for.
Photo: Mom - taken just before Christmas, making snacks.

I'm not sure what the recipe is for joy, but I'm so grateful to see my mom living it!

I don't remember twirling around in circles with my arms outstretched, gazing up at the sky when I was a kid. But I remember doing this often as an adult. One of the most vivid moments was in 1999. We had just moved out of the hostel to a tiny house across the street. I was up very early in the morning to go and work at the hostel. On my way across the street, I twirled around in circles, arms outstretched, embracing the world, gazing up at the morning sky. I remember the feeling. It was joy! Complete and utter joy.

Since then, this has become my little dance of joy. Today, I found myself doing the dance, just because, without realizing it. What a wonderful feeling - to catch yourself in a moment of joy. Dancing brings me joy. The past few days, I've been cranking the tunes in the morning as I get ready for work (I'm teaching a class this week and have to be out the door by 7am.) So, the music, coffee and a little morning boogie is a great way to wake up. My favourite songs lately are When Love Takes Over (David Guetta), Say Hey, I love you (Michael Frante), I gotta feeling (Black eyed peas), Haven't Met You Yet (Michael Buble) and a dozen more. Sometimes, it's impossible not to laugh at myself. While I have a few things that are not quite the way I want them in my life, I sure have so much to be grateful for and joyful about!

Tonight, one of my intentional living ideas is to make a list of all the "loose ends" in my life.... who I need to call (that I should have called weeks ago), that email I need to write, the package that has to get to the mail, etc. Personal stuff as well as business items. Not just a "to do" list but a list of important things that will actually move me one step closer to living a little more intentionally.

Mom - Thank you for living in your state of joy and for giving me hope. I love you! Crystal

1 comment:

Jewel said...

Crystal,
Once again you you take a concept and put it in words that bring it back down to it simple meaning. I had forgotten what happiness felt like, but moments of pure joy, like spinning around with your arms outstretched, is what I've been trying to find. Sometimes we just need a reminder of what it is we are truley looking for, not just a vague idea that floats around in our heads - never manifesting itself, because we can't quite pinpoint what "it" actually is. Now I know what the feeling is that I want and when I find it I won't let it pass me by with out recognizing it and staying in the moment. I have spent the last ten years or so just getting by - not feeling too bad, but not experiencing true joy either. I'm ready to feel both emotions - even though I know how much it can hurt to feel truely sad - I miss feely pure joy!

Thank You - Jewel