Friday, January 22, 2010

Today, I called in sick!

Well...I didn't exactly call in sick. I just looked at myself in the mirror and said to myself, "YOU are taking the day OFF!"

This lovely gift to myself was inspired by someone I am very grateful to know; a friend and someone I admire greatly for her overflowing joy (especially when she laughs) and ability to be completely genuine and real. My friend, Brenda took the day off yesterday and shared with me, what an extraordinary day she had! She didn't call in sick. She wasn't sick. She didn't even call in at all. She simply took the day off to celebrate life. (Likely, she works so hard that taking the day off was probably applauded!)

So...what an extraordinary day today has been!

This morning, I woke up early, did a tiny bit of work, talked with one of my brothers on Skype (He's in Mexico) and then to a few friends on the phone and then did some stretching with my cat on the floor beside me. After that, I went for a glorious 1 hour and 45 min run in the sunshine! It was gorgeous! Gorgeous! Gorgeous! Gorgeous!!!! I thought about a new friend I met on Facebook who will be doing her second half-marathon this weekend! I hope her race is fantastic!

It's my first longer run since the Ironman race 7 weeks ago and it felt fabulous. I am constantly amazed at what a miracle the body is. I am so grateful and blessed to be able to run...to be injury-free...to be healthy...to be alive...and to be ME!

I can't really explain what I'm experiencing over the past couple months. In my Leadership Program (over the past 3 nights) with Inside Out Leadership Development, I shared that I realized (in a lightbulb moment lastnight) that I had not said my usual zillion "sorry's" lately. (Up until recently, I've had this habit of saying "sorry" for just about anything. When it didn't need to be said at all. It's an insecurity thing. I don't know why...but it's been a bad habit for years. For as long as I can remember, actually.)

It's a great feeling to feel good in my own skin. To feel more sure of myself. To feel more like ME! I'm reminded of Marianne Williamson's quote about "Our Deepest Fear". It feels good to not play so small anymore. For this, I am so grateful!

So, the rest of the day continued to be quite extraordinary in an ordinary sort of way. I called my mom on Skype and we had a great video-chat. She is amazing. She's got the greatest sense of humour. We laughed a lot. We are going to chat more on video-skype. I still can't believe she's so computer savvy! Remarkable!

After that, I went to wash my car at the "do it yourself" car wash. I used to always wash my car at the drive-thru car wash until I met Doug. Doug always washed his vehicles by hand. It's better for the car and better for one's spirit, I think. Doug and I spent a few incredible years together, up until a couple years ago. We're still friends and I'm so grateful for that. He taught me many things, but most importantly, he taught me what true love was. I don't think I've ever loved someone, or been loved by someone, with such care and genuine friendship ever before. I hope we'll always be friends.
It was a wonderful day of intentional living. Every moment of it! I went grocery shopping (which I love to do) and then took some supplies to the hostel and hung out there for a bit (which I have loved doing more and more of lately), cleaned out the storage room where all the supplies and consumable stuff is stored (which is absolutely one of my favourite jobs) and then visited with the staff and guests for a bit. I am completely surrounded by people that I love and who love me - everywhere I turn...at work, my family (even if I only talk to some of them on skype b/c they don't live nearby), friends, colleagues...sometimes I stop and think "Who should be so lucky?" "Why am I so lucky?"

Gwen and I decided to get together tomorrow instead of tonight. We're both exhausted. So, Saturday will be filled with filling in at the hostel for a few hours so the manager could stay at the ski resort tonight. I can't remember when I actually "worked" in the hostel! I am probably going to make a million mistakes! the new staff should not learn from me! :) Then...some intentional, quality "sister time". And tomorrow night....YES, I am going to a party!!

Mom, I'll take a few photos for you. I can't wait to see you on Wednesday. Thank you for the skype chat today. I thought about you on my run and hope you know how much you are loved.

Mom, today, I lived intentionally, doing ordinary things like going for a run, washing the car and going grocery shopping...but it wasn't ordinary at all. I did what you do - all day. You are always kind to people,strangers and friends, you smile at them, you talk to the lady at the check-out counter at the grocery store and brighten her day, you are so giving, attentive, a great listener, generous, respectful and you make the world better just by being in it. Today, I did what you do. When there are jobs or tasks like cleaning out the storage room or hauling in a bunch of groceries to the hostel, it didn't matter what I was doing - I was joyful.
You live in a state of joy every day. I saw it on your face today on Skype. Thank you.
I love you, Mom. See you soon!
love Crystal
PS: Mom, I think you need to "call in sick" tomorrow and take the day JUST FOR YOU!

2 comments:

Brenda said...

You are a gem. I am honored that you took a page out of my book today and honored yourself. You are a such a heartfelt woman and such an inspiration to many. To continue; you know your cup needs to be replenished regularily. So YES here's to the occasional day to fill your cup! We are worthy! Warm hug to you, Brenda

Meghann said...

Crystal, it's been a while. I thought I'd check out your blog, and am glad I did. I'm on my own journey to a better me, and I needed a little more positivity. So, I just wanted to thank you for being such a positive, wonderful person! Thank you!