Thursday, January 14, 2010

Girls, help each other!

It has been so incredible to think about and remember all sorts of moments and memories from growing up and all that my mom has taught me over the years

I've been making notes about various things my mom said or did. I can hear her voice in my mind as I remember all the simple yet profound wisdom she expressed.

"Girls, help each other!" was another of her great lines. She'd holler out to us and tell us to help one another do what ever it is that we were doing...from bringing in groceries from the car (and one particular item was too heavy for one of us to carry) or when we were bagging leaves in autumn and one of us needed to hold the bag while the other put the leaves into it. She instilled a sense of teamwork in me that I still thrive on today.

It's strange to think about, but in the hostel that I own, all I really care about is "the team". If the team functions well, the business will run smoothly. I'm learning so much through this project, just how much of an impact my mom and her wisdom has had on me. My values have largely been shaped by her wisdom and how she lived her life.

"Help each other" is universal wisdom and great advice. If it were a question it could be "How can we help each other?".

Tonight I went to the West Kelowna Chamber of Commerce monthly meeting held at our family's business, Flaman Fitness. Everyone was there to network, grow their businesses and help each other. It was a fabulous evening with lots of camaraderie and conversation. On a more personal, deeper level, I think everyone wants (and needs) to be valued, validated and, ultimately, loved. For who they really are. That's what I think it's all about. Helping and loving each other.













My sister Kate is here visiting and helping Gwen with some painting in her house and we were all at the event tonight. Some very special friends came to the event as well. We're all doing our best to just help each other...helping each other to get things done, to grow, to be "more", to be secure, happy and fulfilled.












It makes me wonder how I can help others in a more intentional way. Jim Rohn said that "the key to greatness, in business and in life, is to find a way to serve or help others".

Mom, you lived your life in service of others. You also made me so aware of how important it is to work as a team and help each other. I'm so grateful. Grateful for you, for everyone that came out tonight, for my very special friends and for my sisters...love Crystal

For the record: it's been 2 weeks without chocolate and junk food, minus that delicious rice crispy cake that I devoured last week. 2 more weeks to go! I can hardly wait for those home-made chocolate chip cranberry cookies!

No comments: