Wednesday, January 20, 2010

You don't get what you want. You get what you picture!


When I was a kid, I loved to read. My favourite books were The Bobsy Twins, Tom Sawyer and the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Nancy Drew. Then I got into those books where you could decide the various endings and in my early adulthood, I was already into personal development books, Anthony Robbins and Jim Rohn among many others. I loved inspiring stories and any book where I learned something about people, motivation, goal-setting and happiness. In university, I read books, my texts - not included, and I became my university dorm's library. I worked as a Resident Advisor for 3 years while going to university and got to know everyone in the 14 storey building. It was my job (along with my team) to make sure the 40 apartments with 6 students in each apt were all getting along, keeping their place clean and basically doing well (which means no excessive partying and keeping good communication with one's roommates). I used to lend out my books to people who I thought might benefit from them. Looking back, I was always on my own path when it came to personal development but I was certainly a normal student when it I came to going out on the town, dancing at least twice per week and having fun. I also worked at the campus bar, which kept my social life in full gear. I rarely drank so working at the bar was a great way to stay connected.

This is a total digression. It's late. But I do have a focus here and it's probably the key for me, to living intentionally.

I still love to read today and my library is incredible! This is a photo of one of my bookshelves in my office today.

My mom also loved to read. Well, that is, until Don (her husband) came on the scene a few years ago. Now, they don't have time to read. They're too busy out living life in a wonderful way!

Anyway, it was in university that I read the phrase, "You don't get what you want. You get what you picture." This perplexed me, but I figured it out. I really don't get what I want in life...unless I can envision it, picture it, see it in my mind - first!

And so it goes...

I believe in the whole concept of visualization. I've used it often in my work, Ironman races and in the adventures/mis-adventures I find myself on. Visualization has been an incredible tool for me in so many ways. When I would run or ride my bike, I'd visualize finishing my Ironman race, with arms outstretched, smiling, and I'd even envision (and write down) what I thought my finish time would be for several races. The results were so accurate, it's scary. Last month, in my Cozumel Ironman race, I came within 1 minute of my documented goal (in a 14 hour Ironman race), not to mention that I had forgotten what my goal was. The entire marathon, I wondered, "what did I write down for my projected goal"! I've come within 9 minutes in two other Ironman races. What this tells me...is to be very careful of what I envision! And to set the bar much, much higher!

Tonight, I attended the second evening of a great leadership program with Inside Out Leadership Group and they talked about visioning. We did a visioning exercise. The task was to "envision our best life. What do I want to be doing in my life? and "What do I want to be like, as a person, in my vision of my very best self".

With my eyes closed, I immediately saw myself doing much of what I am doing now, organizing charity missions to Central and South America, making an incredible difference in the world and loving every moment. I also envisioned myself speaking and sharing my experiences and stories on huge stages with large audiences as well as with just a few people in small groups. I envisioned that I have a great sense of inner confidence and peace and overflowing joy and happiness. I also envisioned that I had all the time in the world to really strengthen my relationships with my freinds and family.

There was also another part of my vision that I tried to shut out b/c I didn't think it ws part of the task at hand. Now, I realize that this other part of my vision was definitely part of the exercise.

The other part of my vision included images of me laughing, hugging and celebrating with a tall, dark-haired man with a gorgeous smile and great glow about himself. We were standing in my kitchen. I saw me laughing, smiling and wrapping my arms around him. He was dancing and laughing with me. It was amazing.

However, I tried to move this thought from my mind and focus on the rest of my vision. After all, this was a work-related exercise. No time for daydreaming. Or so I thought. The image would not leave my mind. It still hasn't. It's very strange. I have no explanation. But I do have a LOT of hope...in possibility!

I'm not sure what it all means. However, I know that the mind is an incredible thing and I do believe that we ultimately get...what we picture.

Mom, as I write this tonight, I'm seriously wondering what you were thinking when I was in university, working 3 jobs, not spending too much time on school, but certainly loving life. You are the most amazing mom! Thank you for all the freedom, flexibility and faith you had in me. Also, Mom, thank you for holding a positive vision for me and our whole family. You are the most powerful visionary in my life. love you, Crystal

No comments: