Saturday, January 2, 2010

Listen to me when I am talking to you.

Today, I followed some of my mom's most valuable wisdom.

Listen to me when I am talking to you.

Mom, I remember when I was about 14 and I was being a bit of a challenge for you. You were talking to me (reprimanding me for what, I cannot recall) but I remember that I visibly tuned (you) out by picking up a piece of paper that was on the table to divert my eyes to. You said, "listen to me when I am talking to you" and told me that it was rude to not pay attention when someone was speaking. I never forgot that moment, although I know that I could certainly be a much better listener. Thank you for this wisdom. For that moment that I will always remember b/c I see how much more I can get out of life, and give, when i listen intentionally and intently. I love you. Crystal


Now, God knows how much I can (and like) to talk. Today, I tried to use my ears, something I am trying to do a lot more of and want to continue to get better at.

It is Saturday. The final days before the real "get back to work" mode sets in. I wanted to spend time with my sister, for obvious reasons, and we had a very treasured morning. She continues to amaze me with her courage, strength and ability to "feel". My heart aches for her and I still cannot express how much I feel for what they are going through right now.

Then, spending some time with the staff at my hostel was also a truly treasured opportunity and I listened, shared some of my thoughts as well, but really listened and just hope they know I am always there for them, wanting the absolute best for them.

And tonight, one of my best friends and I went to the movie, In The Air. We are soul-sisters, friends, business colleagues and I am again beyond words to express how grateful I am for our friendship. We had the greatest chat about a million different things after the movie.

It's easy for me to get caught up in "my stuff" and talk too much. Today, I just tried to listen in my quest to live more intentionally. To really pay attention and be present. I'm the first to admit that I really could be and want to be a better listener and today was a wonderful day of living intentionally.

Mom, for you and what you have taught me, I am so grateful.

Attached are a few photos of the amazing people in my life who have so many incredible things to say, for me to listen to and learn from.


Gwen and I this past Christmas.


Thanksgiving dinner at the hostel this year.


Melanie and I at a party.

Well, it's day 13 of this project...and day 2 without treats! So far - so good! One day at a time.

No comments: